Healthy Bread Recipes
Bread making is one of the greatest cooking experiences.
Taking something from plain ingredients and turning it into a
beautiful loaf is therapeutic. These bread recipes are all
wholemeal, and therefore very healthy, but you could exchange
the wholemeal flour for white or brown flour if you wished.
♥ Standard Whole Wheat
- Combine 6 cups whole wheat flour and 2 (.25 ounce)
packages active dry yeast in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup
sugar, 2 tsps baking soda, 1 tbsp baking powder, and 2 1/2 cups
- Stir in 1/2 cup seeds (any kind will do). Let dough stand in
warm area for 1 hour with tea towel on top, letting bread
- Knead bread (kneading should last at least 5 mins, and should
be very forceful) and put in 2 regular loaf pans.
- Brush tops with 2 beaten egg whites.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 50 minutes. Eat and
♥ Crunchy Honey Whole Wheat
- Dissolve 1 (.25 ounce) package yeast and 1 tsp sugar in
1/2 cup warm water.
- Combine 1 (12 fl oz) can evaporated milk, 1/4 cup water, 1/4
cup melted shortening, 1/4 cup honey, 2 tsps salt and 2 cups
whole wheat flour in food processor or bowl.
- Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Add 3 cups bread flour, and process until dough forms a
- Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food
processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover
the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.
- Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and
pound out the bubbles.
- Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread
- Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic
- Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should
take about 30 minutes.
- Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the
- Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden
- Butter crusts while warm. Slice when cool.
♥ Sunflower Almond Wheat
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve 1 (.25 ounce) package
yeast and 1/4 cup sugar in 1 cup warm milk. Let stand until
creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with 1/4 cup
ground sunflower seeds, 1 cup bread flour, 2.5 cups whole wheat
flour and salt; mix well.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a
lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic,
about 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and
turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until
doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured
- Form the dough into a loaf and place it into the prepared
- Brush the top with almond oil (2tbsp) and cover with a damp
- Let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the
top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow
- Let cool on a wire rack 20 minutes before slicing.
Why not try the gorgeously tasty Grandma's Morning
Bread for a real treat to start your
day? Or see our selection of whole wheat baking recipes,
including biscotti and cinnamon rolls.
Other loaf recipes: